In Their Words: A
Genealogist's Translation Guide to Polish, German, Latin, and Russian Documents - Volume
by Jonathan D. Shea and William F.
Revised Edition: ISBN 978-0-9631579-9-7 Copyright 2014
Written by the authors of Following the Paper Trail and the
Polish and Latin volumes of the In Their Words series, the book
* 88 Russian-language documents and extracts from American and
European sources, analyzed and translated. They include extracts from
birth, death, and marriage records of various formats; gazetteer entries;
revision lists; obituaries; population registers; military service records;
passports and much more.
* sections on Russian grammar, phonetics and spelling;
* information on how to locate records in America and Europe;
* a chapter on gazetteers and how to use the, with ten (10) maps
showing Russia's changing borders and divisions. There are also Letter
Writing Guides for Russian, Lithuanian and Ukrainian.
* an 80-page vocabulary with over 3,700 entries featuring archaic
terms and spellings most likely to be found in records but rarely included
in modern dictionaries.
* a 26- page list of over 700 Christian and Jewish given names
with equivalents in English, Latin, Lithuanian and Polish.
This book is soft-cover, perfect bound, with 520 bindery pages,
8.5" x 11", weight 2 lb., 11 oz.
Can be ordered through Avotaynu, the Polish Art Center, the Polish Genealogical Society of America.